Hawaiian Last Names – Last Names In Hawaiian
Chances are that you, and most of the people you know, have a surname. They give you a link to your family and your families history, and are an integral part of our identities. Hawaiian last names (also known Polynesian last names), however, weren’t always that common.
In Hawaii, natives didn’t always have last names. However, after becoming colonized by the West, Hawaiians were required to keep a last name. This lead to the given names being converted to family surnames.
Read Also: Hawaiian Names For Boys
List of Common Hawaiian Last Names – Hawaiian Surnames
- Keliʻi: This name means “Chief”.
- Manu: This name means “Bird.”
- Alana: Meaning “awakening to arise”.
- Maliah: This is a popular name meaning “Bitterness sea.”
- Akana: A Japanese given name that means ‘bright’ and ‘play the music.’
- Kahananui: This name means “The great work”.
- Pilipo: This unique name means “Horses lover.”
- Mahelona: The Hawaiian version of the biblical name ‘Mahlon.’
- Anela: Anela is an angelic Hawaiian last name, meaning “Angel.”
- Kaʻuhane: This Hawaiian name refers to “The soul” or “spirit.”
- Kamiya: Kamiya means “Unique.”
- Aka: A lovely name meaning “Noble”.
- Mana: This mystical name means “Supernatural power”.
- Lui: A strong name meaning “Renowned warrior.”
- Lokela: Lokela means “Famous warrior.”
- Wong: A Cantonese surname meaning “king.”
- Kapule: The prayer or magic.
- Peniamina: Son of the right hand.
- Makali: This name means “the Pleiades stars.”
- Alika: A sweet name meaning “Most beautiful.”
- Aukai: Hawaiian name meaning “Seafarer.”
- Kahue: The gourd.
- Leilani: A beautiful name meaning “Heavenly flower.”
- Alama: Alama is a beautiful name that comes from nature. It means”Earth and eternity.”
- Moana: Moana means “The ocean.” This name has been made well known through the Disney movie, Moana.
- Akina: A Japanese given name that means ‘bright,’ ‘autumn,’ ‘greens,’ ‘name’ and ‘south.’
- Lee: A Korean surname meaning plum tree.
- Iosua: Iosua is the Hawaiian version of the name “Joshua.”
- Palakiko: The Hawaiian version of the English “Francis.”
- Kekoa: The warrior.
- Akamai: A strong name meaning “wisdom and skill.”
- Akamu: The Hawaiian version of the biblical name “Adam.”
- Kahale: This is a lovely Hawaiian surname meaning “The house.”
- Keaka: God’s gracious gift.
- Ikaika: More strong.
- Iona: The Hawaiian version of the name “Jonah.”
- Mahoe: This name means “twin”.
- Havika: Beautiful name meaning “Beloved.”
- Pualani: Heavenly flower.
- Kai: This Hawaiian last name means “The sea.” Famous Korean pop-star Kai of Exo, also bears this stage name.
- Apane: Beautiful red bird.
- Kalama: This name means “the torch” or “flaming torch” in Hawaiian.
- Kalawaiʻa: This occupational name means “the fisherman.”
- Mahiʻai: Another occupational name meaning “Farmer.”
- Kealani: A peaceful sounding name meaning “White heaven.”
- Noelani: This rather poetic name means “Beautiful one from heaven.”
- Kameāloha: The beloved one.
- Iokua: God is salvation.
- Konani: Konani means “Bright.”
- Kekoa: A strong name meaning “The brave one.”
- Nakamura: A Japanese surname meaning ‘middle village.’
- Kelekolio: The Hawaiian version of the English ‘Gregory.’
- Wailani: Heavenly water.
- Inoa: This name means “Of the Virgin Mary.”
- Haoa: Chief guardian.
- Likeke: This Hawaiian surname means “Powerful ruler.”
- Haukea: A rather serene name meaning “Snow”.
- Peleke: A Hawaiian last name meaning “Peaceful ruler.”
- Ōpūnui: Big-bellied.
- Keahi: A powerful name that means “the Fire.”
- Keona: An aromatic name meaning “sweet fragrance”.
Read Also : Hawaiian Girl Names
Interesting Hawaiian Names Facts
Did you know:
- True Hawaiian names are unisex. They aren’t specific to a gender like most Western names.
- Hawaiian surnames have a very apparent literal meaning which can be directly translated. However, they may also conceal a symbolic meaning known by only the family.
- Traditionally, names for children were said to be revealed in a vision or dream.
- Names reflect social class.
- Hawaiians might have several names, both formal and informal.
If you enjoyed this article Hawaiian/Polynesian last names, must read related articles are given below
- Indian Last Names For Girls
- What are Common Greek Last Names
- Popular Mexican Last Names
- Finnish Last Names
- Arabic Last Names
- Most Popular Polish Last Names
- Nordic Last Names
- Pakistani Last Names
- Mermaid Names For Girls
- Czech Last Names and Meanings
- Scandinavian Girl Names
- Turkish Last Names