Hawaiian Last Names – Last Names In Hawaiian
Chances are that you, and most of the people you know, have a surname. They give you a link to your family and your families history, and are an integral part of our identities. Hawaiian last names (also known Polynesian last names), however, weren’t always that common.
In Hawaii, natives didn’t always have last names. However, after becoming colonized by the West, Hawaiians were required to keep a last name. This lead to the given names being converted to family surnames.
Read Also: Hawaiian Names For Boys
List of Common Hawaiian Last Names – Hawaiian Surnames
- Keliʻi: The chief.
- Manu: Bird.
- Alana: awakening to arise
- Maliah: Bitterness sea.
- Akana: A Japanese given name that means ‘bright’ and ‘play the music.’
- Kahananui: The great work.
- Pilipo: Horses lover.
- Mahelona: The Hawaiian version of the biblical name ‘Mahlon.’
- Anela: Angel.
- Kaʻuhane: The soul or spirit.
- Kamiya: Unique.
- Aka: Noble.
- Mana: Supernatural power.
- Lui: Renowned warrior.
- Lokela: Famous warrior.
- Wong: A Cantonese surname meaning ‘king.’
- Kapule: The prayer or magic.
- Peniamina: Son of the right hand.
- Makali: the Pleiades stars.
- Alika: Most beautiful.
- Aukai: Hawaiian name meaning Seafarer.
- Kahue: The gourd.
- Leilani: Heavenly flower.
- Alama: Earth and eternity.
- Moana: The ocean.
- Akina: A Japanese given name that means ‘bright,’ ‘autumn,’ ‘greens,’ ‘name’ and ‘south.’
- Lee: A Korean surname meaning plum tree.
- Iosua: The Hawaiian version of the name ‘Joshua.’
- Palakiko: The Hawaiian version of the English ‘Francis’.
- Kekoa: The warrior.
- Akamai: wisdom and skill.
- Akamu: The Hawaiian version of the biblical name ‘Adam.’
- Kahale: The house.
- Keaka: God’s gracious gift.
- Ikaika: More strong.
- Iona: The Hawaiian version of the name ‘Jonah.’
- Mahoe: Twin.
- Havika: Beloved.
- Pualani: Heavenly flower.
- Kai: The sea.
- Apane: Beautiful red bird.
- Kalawaiʻa: The fisherman.
- Mahiʻai: Farmer.
- Kealani: White heaven.
- Noelani: Beautiful one from heaven.
- Kameāloha: The beloved one.
- Iokua: God is salvation.
- Konani: Bright.
- Kekoa: The brave one.
- Nakamura: A Japanese surname meaning ‘middle village.’
- Kelekolio: The Hawaiian version of the English ‘Gregory.’
- Wailani: Heavenly water.
- Inoa: Of the Virgin Mary.
- Haoa: Chief guardian.
- Likeke: Powerful ruler.
- Haukea: Snow
- Peleke: Peaceful ruler.
- Ōpūnui: Big-bellied.
- Keahi: The Fire.
- Keona: Sweet fragrance
Read Also : Hawaiian Girl Names
Interesting Hawaiian Names Facts
Did you know:
- True Hawaiian names are unisex. They aren’t specific to a gender like most Western names.
- Hawaiian surnames have a very apparent literal meaning which can be directly translated. However, they may also conceal a symbolic meaning known by only the family.
- Traditionally, names for children were said to be revealed in a vision or dream.
- Names reflect social class.
- Hawaiians might have several names, both formal and informal.
If you enjoyed this article last names in Hawaiian, must read related articles are given below
- Common Russian Last Names
- Best Italian Surnames
- Indian Last Names For Girls
- What are Common Greek Last Names
- Popular Mexican Last Names
- Cool Last Names
- French Last Names
- Arabic Last Names
- Most Popular Polish Last Names
- Nordic Last Names
- German Last Names
- Mermaid Names For Girls
- Scandinavian Girl Names